Atheros Delivers Industry’s Most Energy Efficient Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Solutions for Computing and Tablet Platforms
SAN JOSE, Calif. – January 3, 2011 — Atheros Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATHR), a global leader in innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications, today announced two new wireless solutions that bring energy-efficient Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® to notebooks, netbooks, desktops and tablets. Building upon its long-standing leadership in the computing market, Atheros has enhanced its WLAN architecture to deliver even greater benefits for manufacturers and consumers alike. By cutting the power consumption of its standalone and combination solutions in half, Atheros is enabling best-in-class wireless features with a greatly-reduced impact on the battery life of mobile devices.
- The new AR9485 extends Atheros’ industry-leading family of Align® 1-stream 802.11n solutions, which are featured in nine of the top 10 PC brands. It leverages unprecedented silicon integration and advanced process technology to offer the industry’s lowest power consumption and manufacturing costs – making it the “greenest” WLAN solution on the market.
- For OEMs adding both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to their computing platforms, Atheros has combined the AR9485 with its recently-introduced AR3012 Bluetooth solution on a standard half mini-card. The AR9004WB-1NG is the world’s first combination product to support the new Bluetooth 4.0 standard, which features a low-energy mode to extend Bluetooth connectivity to sensors and other battery-powered devices.
- Both the standalone AR9485 and AR9004WB-1NG combination offer the industry’s lowest power consumption – 30 to 50 percent lower than comparable solutions. Such significant power savings are the result of Atheros’ enhanced PHY architecture and efficient power amplifiers. Atheros’ new products also use a unique Green Transmission mode, which dynamically adjusts the system’s Wi-Fi transmit power depending on the distance between the router and the client device.
- The new products also include Atheros Direct Connect™ peer-to-peer technology, which enables computing devices to easily connect with Wi-Fi enabled printers, cameras and other peripherals – without an access point or broadband connection. Direct Connect brings unprecedented convenience and simplicity to Wi-Fi devices and lets people do more with their wireless products.
- Atheros’ new solutions also slash the costs of adding Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to computing and tablet platforms. Their unmatched silicon integration eliminates the need for external power amplifiers, low-noise amplifiers (LNAs), a transmit/receive switch and several other components to reduce bill of material (BOM) costs by up to 30 percent, compared to previous solutions.
- Like all of Atheros’ combination solutions, the AR9004WB-1NG offers Atheros Universal Wireless Cooperation™ to improve the wireless experience for PCs and tablets with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Atheros’ innovative coexistence technology facilitates greater cooperation between the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radios to minimize interference and ensure smooth operation of both wireless features.
- The AR9485 and AR9004WB-1NG are now sampling, and are expected to be in volume production in Q2, 2011.
Vivek Gupta, vice president and general manager of Atheros’ computing products
“Power consumption has always been a critical factor for the PC and tablet markets, but even more so with today’s increasingly smaller platforms and energy-conscious consumers. Rather than taking incremental steps to improve the efficiency of our connectivity products, Atheros redesigned its architecture to leap-frog the competition with best-in-class performance and power.”
- Click here for more information about Atheros computing solutions
- Click here to download Atheros product photos
Atheros Communications delivers innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications. Its mission is to invent technologies that connect and empower people in ways that are elegant and accessible to all. Building upon its broad expertise in RF and mixed signal semiconductor design, Atheros’ portfolio includes a wide variety of connectivity solutions that are used by many of the world’s leading networking equipment, computing and consumer device manufacturers. Headquartered in San Jose, California, Atheros has a significant and growing presence in Asia and Europe to serve its global customer base. For more information, visit www.atheros.com.
NOTE ON FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS:
Except for the historical information contained herein, the matters set forth in this press release, including the features, benefits and performance of Atheros’ products, and the expected volume production of the AR9485 and AR9004WB-1NG in Q2, 2011, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially, including, but not limited to, difficulties in the development of new and enhanced products, general economic conditions, the effects of competition and technological change, and the risks detailed in Atheros' Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2009 and its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2010, as filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and in other reports filed with the SEC by Atheros from time to time. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof. Atheros disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
For press inquires contact:
Laurie B. Falconer, 408-616-3036, email@example.com
For analyst inquires contact:
Warren Kneeshaw, 858-658-2983, firstname.lastname@example.org