Atheros Debuts Industry’s Most Flexible Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 Solution for Tablets and Portable Consumer Electronic Devices
SAN JOSE, Calif. – January 3, 2011 — Atheros Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATHR), a global leader in innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications, today unveiled the industry’s highest-performing and most flexible wireless solution for tablets and portable consumer electronic (CE) devices. Extending Atheros’ popular line of combination products for computing and consumer devices, the new AR6233 offers both 802.11n Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.0 technologies on a system-in-package (SIP) solution – the compact form factor preferred for CE designs.
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are becoming standard features in more portable consumer devices, including tablets, handheld games and media players. Wi-Fi provides fast network connections for downloading and sharing digital content, while Bluetooth enhances the usability of devices with simple connections to wireless keyboards, mice, headsets and computers.
- The AR6233 is built on the Atheros ROCm® architecture, which was designed to meet the stringent performance and power requirements of mobile handsets. As a result, the new solution can offer the highest 1-stream 802.11n performance (up to 85 Mbps of end-user throughput) with a near-zero impact on the battery life of portable devices. The AR6233 is also the first SIP solution to support the new Bluetooth 4.0 standard, which features a low-energy mode to extend Bluetooth connectivity to sensors and other battery-powered devices.
- With a skyrocketing number of Wi-Fi devices crowding the 2.4GHz band, more consumers are looking for dual-band products that leverage the 5GHz band for media applications requiring relatively interference-free bandwidth. The AR6233 provides a cost-effective way for manufacturers to add dual-band wireless capabilities, by adding a minimal number of components to their design.
- As CE manufacturers launch tablets and other connected devices with unique capabilities and price points, they are using a variety of processors, interfaces and operating systems. Atheros is the only connectivity vendor to support the full range of tablet platforms, enabling customers to streamline their development and procurement processes. With the addition of the AR6233, Atheros’ portfolio now supports architectures that use:
- ARM® or x86 processors
- SDIO, PCIe and USB interfaces for WLAN, and UART and USB interfaces for Bluetooth
- Windows®, Android™ and other Linux® operating systems
- The AR6233 provides the best possible Wi-Fi and Bluetooth performance in a variety of form factors. The same solution can be used in larger devices that take advantage of isolation between Wi-Fi and Bluetooth antennas, as well as smaller devices that share a single-antenna for both radios. To minimize interference in both cases, the AR6233 uses Atheros Universal Wireless Cooperation™ technology, which facilitates greater cooperation between the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radios.
- The AR6233 is now sampling, and is expected to be in volume production in Q2, 2011.
Gary Szilagyi, vice president and general manager of Atheros’ consumer products
“The consumer electronics market is one of the fastest growing opportunities for connectivity, but also one of the more complex. Our customers not only require best-in-class performance and features, but they rely on vendors to keep pace with the continual evolution of form factors, use cases and device architectures. Atheros is well-positioned to do that, and is delivering the industry’s most comprehensive portfolio for a broad range of mobile, computing and consumer devices.”
- Click here for more information about Atheros computing solutions
- Click here to download Atheros product photos
Atheros Communications delivers innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications. Its mission is to invent technologies that connect and empower people in ways that are elegant and accessible to all. Building upon its broad expertise in RF and mixed signal semiconductor design, Atheros’ portfolio includes a wide variety of connectivity solutions that are used by many of the world’s leading networking equipment, computing and consumer device manufacturers. Headquartered in San Jose, California, Atheros has a significant and growing presence in Asia and Europe to serve its global customer base. For more information, visit www.atheros.com.
NOTE ON FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS:
Except for the historical information contained herein, the matters set forth in this press release, including the features, benefits and performance of the AR6233 and other Atheros products, the expected volume production of the AR6233 in Q2 2011, and the anticipated growth of the consumer electronics market, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially, including, but not limited to, difficulties in the development of new and enhanced products, general economic conditions, the effects of competition and technological change, and the risks detailed in Atheros' Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2009 and its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2010, as filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and in other reports filed with the SEC by Atheros from time to time. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof. Atheros disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
For press inquires contact:
Laurie B. Falconer, 408-616-3036, firstname.lastname@example.org
For analyst inquires contact:
Warren Kneeshaw, 858-658-2983, email@example.com