Atheros Introduces Two New 802.11n Router Solutions, Bringing High-End Performance and Energy Efficiency to Mainstream Wi-Fi Products
SAN JOSE, Calif. – January 4, 2011 — Atheros Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATHR), a global leader in innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications, today announced two highly-integrated 802.11n solutions that bring high-end performance and features to mainstream Wi-Fi® routers and residential gateways. The new Align® AR933x and XSPAN® AR934x system-on-chip (SoC) solutions include all of the major components required to build 1-stream or 2-stream 802.11n routers, respectively. This high level of silicon integration not only enables smaller and more energy-efficient networking products, but also provides manufacturers with a flexible and cost-effective platform for adding advanced wireless connectivity to consumer electronic devices.
- Integration – Atheros’ new solutions leverage advanced process technology and the highest level of chip integration, combining an 802.11n media access controller (MAC), baseband and radio, with a network processor, radio front-end, Ethernet switch, and other components onto a single silicon die. This integration reduces the number of external components required to build Wi-Fi products, enabling smaller and more cost-effective wireless platforms with robust 802.11n performance and advanced features.
- Performance – Atheros’ new solutions deliver superior rate-over-range to enable whole-home wireless coverage and support consumers’ most demanding applications. They offer the highest radio transmit power, thanks to the industry’s best-performing integrated radio front-end, power amplifiers and low-noise amplifiers (LNAs) for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios.
- Flexibility – Featuring a powerful on-board network processor, Atheros’ new SoCs provide device manufacturers with complete solutions for wireless access points, routers and residential gateways. The integrated processor can also be used to sustain Wi-Fi capabilities in TVs, printers and other consumer electronics that typically lack the processing power to handle wireless functions.
- Energy-Efficiency – Since most home networking equipment is turned on 24 hours a day, Wi-Fi vendors are also striving to deliver more energy-efficient products. Atheros has optimized the design of its new SoCs to dramatically reduce power consumption. The AR933x and AR934x comply with the stringent EU Code of Conduct Standby Initiative, and employ several power-saving techniques that intelligently manage current consumption during various states of activity.
- The new XSPAN AR934x SoC is a flexible platform for building a variety of high-performance 802.11n products (with single-band and dual-band capabilities). When paired with Atheros’ AR9380/81 3-stream 802.11n solution, it also becomes the industry’s most cost-effective 2-chip solution for simultaneous dual-band 3x3 routers. This combination is ideal for accelerating the adoption of 3-stream 802.11n technology to support video and other bandwidth-hungry media applications in the digital home.
- The AR933x SoC extends Atheros’ popular Align family of 1-stream 802.11n solutions for PCs and mobile devices. Delivering four times faster throughput and greater coverage than legacy 802.11g solutions, the new Align SoC raises the performance bar for entry-level routers and residential gateways. This is especially important in emerging markets, where there is explosive growth in the adoption of basic home networking equipment.
- The Align AR933x and XSPAN AR934x system-on-chip solutions are now sampling to leading networking customers.
Dan Rabinovitsj, senior vice president and general manager of Atheros’ Networking Business Unit
“Our latest solutions showcase Atheros’ world-class integration capabilities, and bring high-performance wireless connectivity into mainstream products. With these new platforms, a new class of home networking devices can deliver enhanced 11n throughput and coverage, while meeting the requirements of today’s cost- and energy-conscious consumers.”
Atheros Communications delivers innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications. Its mission is to invent technologies that connect and empower people in ways that are elegant and accessible to all. Building upon its broad expertise in RF and mixed signal semiconductor design, Atheros’ portfolio includes a wide variety of connectivity solutions that are used by many of the world’s leading networking equipment, computing and consumer device manufacturers. Headquartered in San Jose, California, Atheros has a significant and growing presence in Asia and Europe to serve its global customer base. For more information, visit www.atheros.com.
NOTE ON FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS:
Except for the historical information contained herein, the matters set forth in this press release, including the features, benefits and performance of Atheros’ products, and the anticipated growth of the home networking equipment market, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially, including, but not limited to, difficulties in the development of new and enhanced products, general economic conditions, the effects of competition and technological change, and the risks detailed in Atheros' Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2009 and its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2010, as filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, and in other reports filed with the SEC by Atheros from time to time. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date hereof. Atheros disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
For press inquires contact:
Laurie B. Falconer, 408-616-3036, firstname.lastname@example.org
For analyst inquires contact:
Warren Kneeshaw, 858-658-2983, email@example.com