WLAN :: AR6005
Qualcomm Atheros Mobile Platform Solutions
The combination of Qualcomm Atheros 802.11n wireless solutions for mobile WLAN, Bluetooth® and Location, with our dominant position in the home, office and Metro Wi-Fi networking markets enables a worldwide wireless ecosystem based on the company’s technologies. Qualcomm Atheros-engineered 11n technologies provide the most reliable wireless performance and connectivity anywhere you go. Our mobile platform solutions give customers the unsurpassed ability to:
- Build the most power-efficient devices
- Design for the smallest form factor applications
- Achieve the most cost-effective designs
- Deliver Atheros-class performance in a wide array of mobile devices, all featuring a high level of design and integration ease.
AR6005 Technology Overview
The AR6005 is the third-generation Wi-Fi chip from Qualcomm Atheros optimized for the throughput, size, and energy efficiencies needed of mobile and embedded devices. With its tiny footprint and energy-saving qualities, the AR6005 rounds out our comprehensive ecosystem of 1-stream 11n solutions, targeting smartphones, mobile gaming and portable CE devices. With increased data throughput capabilities offered by 11n, the AR6005 achieves up to 48 Mbps in the 2.4 GHz band in 20 Mhz mode. The AR6005 features the lowest current consumption of any 11n mobile WLAN solution on the market today to significantly extend battery life, while supporting the power demands of transmitting large media files. The AR6005 also employs the company’s on-chip Efficient Power Amplifier™ (EPA) technology to reduce the power typically consumed by internal PAs, while delivering the output power of an external PA.
Throughput and Range
The AR6005 also enhances its rate-over-range performance above the coverage improvements inherent in the 802.11n MAC and PHY, by leveraging advanced optional 11n features such as Space Time Block Coding (STBC) and low density parity check (LDPC). In addition, the AR6005 features Universal Wireless Cooperation™, a suite of advanced wireless coexistence techniques to significantly enhance the simultaneous operation of WLAN and Bluetooth on a mobile device.
Qualcomm Atheros has taken integration to a new level with the AR6005 to enable 11n-class performance in a wider variety of mobile handsets and handheld products. The AR6005 eliminates many external components compared to competitive mobile WLAN solutions.
AR6005 Solution Highlights
- Most power-efficient 802.11b/g/n WLAN implementation for mobile and embedded applications
- 1-stream 802.11n provides highest throughput and superior RF performance for handhelds
- Advanced 802.11n features
- HT20 (2.4 GHz)
- Full/Half guard interval
- Frame aggregation
- Space time block coding (STBC)
- Low density parity check (LDPC) encoding
- Optimized for maximum throughput and low power consumption
- Highest level of on-chip integration using CMOS technology
- Patented Atheros Efficient Power Amplifier (EPA™) for high transmitter output power
- Power management unit
- Smallest WLAN solution footprint for design flexibility
- Superior coexistence with Bluetooth co-located devices
- Support for 2-, 3-, and 4-wire handshaking protocols
- Enhanced PTA schemes and algorithms for optimal throughput at range
- Supports popular interfaces used in low power embedded designs
- SDIO 2.0
- Chip-scale packaging with 0.4 mm pitch for on-board designs
- Small solution footprint to fit the sleekest and most innovative form factors